Timeline of the History of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
Travel through the history of Western Pennsylvania Ohio River Valley via our Coraopolis Timeline. Discover a time when this area was claimed by... Virginia? Learn about the very first settlements and great events of this region.
History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
2015 (Oct 21st) Coraopolis Train Station Reconstruction begins: The Coraopolis Community Development Foundation is refurbishing the station, constructed in 1894 at Mill Street and Neville Way by the Pennsylvania and Lake Erie Railroad
2004 The Coraopolis Moon Record begins publication - last issue published June 26, 2008
2000 The Coraopolis Record-Star begins publication
1986 Coraopolis celebrates its Centennial
1962 The Record begins publication in Coraopolis
1927 Bridge between Coraopolis and Neville Island replaced: "This was the old Sixth Street Bridge from downtown Pittsburgh. It joined St. Clair St (Sixth St, downtown) and Federal St (North Side) from 1892-1927. It was partially dismantled and re-erected in this location." Maintained at this location from 1927 – 1986.
1911 (Sept 19th) Sewickley Bridge Opens: "The bridge was a lattice-beam cantilever truss design, built by the Fort Pitt Bridge Works and officially named the Ohio River Bridge No. 1...The old Sewickley Bridge closed for the last time on May 14, 1980."
1907 (Oct 4th) Coraopolis Elks Lodge No. 1090 is instituted
1889 (Aug) The Coraopolis Suburban issued by J.D. Hamilton, druggist
1797 Adam Patterson purchases the 335-acre “Corsica” tract he had previously leased (along the Ohio stretching from present day Main St to Watt St), and began laying out Middletown in the form of 51 quarter-acre lots and 8 three-acre ‘out lots’. Eventually, Montour’s Bottom, which also included parts of “Oughsaragoh” and “Brittania” also folded in to Middletown.
1784 Pennsylvania Legislature passed “an Act confirming the agreement between this state and the state of Virginia” which gave Virginia settlers in Southwest Pennsylvania the legal authority to perfect the title to the lands they had cleared and settled.
1783 Eleven of the seventeen initial settlers returned to their homesteads: John Meek, Robert Loudon, John Vail, Joshua Meek, Benjamin McCormick, Robert Vance, John Stephenson, Aaron Cherry, Joseph Scott, David Smith, and William Warden.
1781 (March 28) Became part of Robinson Twp, Washington County, PA. By 1784, a judicial system is established. Voting occurs in Washington, PA the county seat until 1784, when smaller voting districts were established. Robinson Twp was assigned to the 5th district, and the house of Joshua Meek’s home was selected as the voting place. Joseph Scott was elected Justice of Robinson Twp.
1776 Virginia creates within the West Augusta District, the counties of Yohogania, Monongahelia, and Ohio. The lands which will eventually become “Old Moon Township” are now a legal part of Yohogania County, Virginia.
1775/1776 Robert Vance claims he took up residence in this area. May have claimed Squatter's rights to Judge at later date as no title transfer found. Robert Vance was a Virginian who previously resided in Westmoreland County. Settled on “Oughsaragoh” tract. No record of title transfer; however, he gave a deposition on December 6, 1807 that “He hath for the past fifty years been well acquainted with the tract of land... having lived upwards of thirty-two years of the latter part of that time in the same neighborhood” This account indicates that any rights likely constituted pre-emptive or “squatters rights”.
1774 (October) Dunmore’s War ends with the Treaty of Camp Charlotte. After their defeat in Dunmore’s War, The Shawnee finally relinquish all claims to lands south of the Ohio. Lord Dunmore then created the District of West Augusta, moving the Augusta County Court to Pittsburgh, and thereby legally and politically making the lands which will later be “Old Moon Township” an entity of Virginia.
1774 (January) Fort Pitt taken by Lord Dunmore for Virginia and rechristened “Fort Dunmore”. John Connolly, a Virginia sympathizer was made Commandant, to the alarm of Pennsylvania, who issued an arrest warrant for Connolly. Virginia counter-arrested the Pennsylvania officials, prompting Penn to send a delegation to Williamsburg to settle the boundary dispute. This failed.
1773 (Spring) Settlement of “Old Moon Township” began. Six land grants were seated that year, but the grants could not be surveyed because both colonial land offices were closed. Settler’s therefore deadened trees marking the outlying boundary of their claim, called “tomahawk claiming”
1772 (January 20) Henry (Andrew) Montour dies near Fort Pitt. Son John Montour inherited 335 acre tract known as “Oughsarago” and assigned it to George Croghan, who sold it to three land speculators in late 1773.
1770 (Oct 20th) George Washington’s Journal Entry: “from Fort Pitt we sent our horses and boys back to Captain Crawford’s, with orders to meet us there again on the 14th day of November. Colonel Croghan, Lt. Hamilton, and Mr. Magee set out with us. At two we dined at Mr. Magee’s and encamped ten miles below, and four above Logstown. We passed several large islands, which appeared to be very good, as the bottoms also did on each side of the river alternately; hills on one side being opposite to bottoms on the other, which seem generally to be about three or four hundred yards wide, and so vice versa.”
“Corsica” ThomasMcKee (335acres) to the northwest (down river)
“Oughsarago” Capt. Henry “Andrew” Montour (335 acres)
“Britania” Thomas Masden (331 acres) to the southeast (up river)
1769 (April 3rd) Pennsylvania Land Office opens. The site of the borough was originally secured in warranty title by Capt. Henry "Andrew" Montour. Montour was a Native American interpreter & British Scout, acquired land through a warrant from the Proprietors of Pennsylvania
1769 "Pennsylvania claimed jurisdiction of the Ohio Valley as part of the Cumberland County with its seat of justice at Carlisle. Virginia claimed jurisdiction of the same area as part of Augusta County with its seat at Staunton. This ongoing dispute caused many settlers, for whom the ownership of land was the primary objective, concern that the title to the lands they had cleared and settled might never be perfected"
1768 (Nov 5th) Treaty of Fort Stanwix: Recognizes nominal ownership by the Iroquois Confederacy of SW Pennsylvania, while transferring a large area called the "New Purchase" from the Iroquois Confederacy to the Proprietary Government of Pennsylvania. The Ohio River is made the dividing line between the "New Purchase" on the south or English side and the Indian frontier on the north. Previously, the Iroquois had invited the Delaware and Shawnee tribes to live in this area. However, neither tribe was invited to attend, resulting in their villages and hunting grounds being given away without their consent. As a result, renegade bands from the Delaware and Shawnee began to attack nearby settlements, rendering the south shore of the upper Ohio extremely dangerous. Because of this, pioneer settlers were reluctant to settle so close to the Indian frontier
1763 Royal Proclamation recognizes nominal ownership of southwest PA belongs to the Iroquois Confederacy
1758 Treaty of Easton recognizes nominal ownership of southwest PA belongs to the Iroquois Confederacy
1751 (approx.) Squatter movement began to appear: first English-speaking settlement west of the Appalachian Mountains established in the Monongahela Valley. "Settlers moving into the Monongahela country were therefore seated without legal sanction and thus were squatting"
1748 The Ohio Company is organized by Thomas Lee and brothers Lawrence and Augustine Washington, in order to represent the prospecting and trading interests of Virginian investors. This prospecting company was directly involved in the early exploration and settlement of southwestern Pennsylvania, which included the southern shore of the Ohio River. These early Virginia settlers in PA were known as “Cavaliers”.
1744 (July 4) Treaty of Lancaster struck, in which the Iroquois relinquished to the crown any claim they had on all the lands within the 1609 Chartered boundaries of Virginia. They considered these boundaries to extend up to the Ohio River.
1682 Pennsylvania's first constitution, the Frame of Government was drafted in April, 1682, providing for an upper house and lower house of the legislature. The assembly approved the second Frame of Government in 1683