Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

601 School Street
Coraopolis, PA, 15108
United States

Welcome to Coraopolis History Archive!  On this site, the history of Cory, PA comes alive through the images and stories of those who have called Coraopolis home throughout the years.  Come browse through historic postcards or read about the history of the businesses and industrialists that put Coraopolis on the map.  Also featured is Maiden City Blog, which explains the story of the borough through engaging posts. Looking for volunteer opportunities to make our community better? Coraopolis History Archive has that as well!  Check us out and tell a friend!

 

History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, including Coraopolis Cemeteries, Coraopolis Maps, Coraopolis Industries, and Coraopolis Photographs.

Lathwood Foundry Post Bases

Lathwood Foundry Passenger Platform Post Bases

One of the bases of the wooden beams that support the passenger platform on the exterior of the Coraopolis Train Station. The passenger platforms were installed in 1907.

Lathwood Foundry was located at 22nd St and Smallman St in the Strip District in 1907 when these beams were installed. Lathwood Foundry would eventually be renamed Central Foundry Company.

Smallman Street looking toward 22nd from 23rd. Photo taken in 1909. One of the buildings in the distance should be Lathwood Foundry.

1906 G.M. Hopkins Company Maps, Strip District, Plate 14. Lathwood Foundry was located at Smallman and 22nd (intersection marked with a star).

Originally located at Faber & Elm across from the Pennsylvania Railroad Union Depot in the Lower Hill District, the foundry was forced to relocate to the Strip District in 1897 so that a boulevard could built. Later, the entire area of the Lower Hill District would be leveled to make way for Consol Arena.

Pennsylvania Railroad Union Depot pictured on the left. The original Lathwood Foundry is pictured to the far right. Up on the hill was Bedford Reservoir.

1889 Map showing original location of Lathwood Foundry, prior to relocating to the Strip District.

Originally from Newport, Wales, proprietor James Lathwood brought with him experience in the foundry business when he immigrated to the U.S. in 1860. He married Annie Louisa Russell in 1872.

1913 Municipal Yearbook, City of Pittsburgh

James Lathwood was laid to rest in Homewood Cemetery, Section 16, Lot 62, Grave 1