Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

601 School Street
Coraopolis, PA, 15108
United States

Welcome to Coraopolis History Archive!  On this site, the history of Cory, PA comes alive through the images and stories of those who have called Coraopolis home throughout the years.  Come browse through historic postcards or read about the history of the businesses and industrialists that put Coraopolis on the map.  Also featured is Maiden City Blog, which explains the story of the borough through engaging posts. Looking for volunteer opportunities to make our community better? Coraopolis History Archive has that as well!  Check us out and tell a friend!


History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, including Coraopolis Cemeteries, Coraopolis Maps, Coraopolis Industries, and Coraopolis Photographs.

First United Presbyterian Church

The First United Presbyterian Church of Coraopolis, PA was founded in 1866. From 1885 to 1895 it was located at 848 Fifth Avenue. Then on State Avenue from 1895-1914. It is currently located on 500 Broadway Street. The building was erected in 1915.

History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

First united presbyterian church


  • Location: 500 Broadway St.

    • Purchased property owned by H.W. Burns and John S. Conkle for $20,000

    • Ground broken in Late May 1915

    • September 12, 1915, 3:00 p.m. - laying of the cornerstone

    • Contract for erecting building awarded to Hobaugh and Wimer of Butler, PA, approx. $53,000

    • Architect, Thomas Hanna of Pittsburgh

    • Alvar C. Purdy, Chairman of building committee

    • June 11, 1916 - Church Dedicated. According to Pastor McGeorge, $51,000 is raised.

    • Total Final Cost $90,000

    • Gothic Style Building "one of the outstanding architectural achievements of the community”

    • Seating Capacity of Auditorium: 700

    • Seating Capacity of Sunday School Annex: 934

    • A 3-manual organ was dedicated June 8, 1929

    • "Cathedral Lantern" lighting system installed 1941

    • In 1952, Condle property purchased at 1000 Ridge Ave for parsonage for $27,000

    • In 1955, $22,000 was spent to improve the education facilities including a chapel, designed by Architect Glenn Bickerstaff, directly behind the Chancel where the balcony used to be, seating 72, along with other design improvements.

    • Fall 1960 oak Narthex installed in rear of Sanctuary for $2,200.

    • Renamed Greystone United Presbyterian Church on June 29, 1961.

  • Prior Locations:

    • State Ave extending to 5th Ave at the foot of School St

      • Completed and dedicated December 1895

      • Brick structure costing $10,000 (seated 300)

      • Used through 1914, when congregation reached 400; at which time it was abandoned

      • Torn down 1934-35

    • 848 Fifth Avenue

      • Construction began August 1887

      • Frame structure costing $4,000

      • Dedicated June 24, 1888

      • Destroyed by fire February 20, 1895

  • Founded: Sept 13, 1886 in the original Methodist Episcopal Church at Fifth Avenue and Main St.

  • Pastors

    • James A. Lawrence, 1886-1889

    • James A. Douthett, 1890-1894

    • James F. Ray, 1894-1898

    • Charles D. Fulton, 1898-1901

    • R. M. Blackwood, 1902-1906

    • John A. Douthett, D.D., 1907-1908

    • Chauncey Kirk McGeorge, April 11, 1909 - ?

  • In 1990, the membership of the church had dwindled, and the Greystone United Presbyterian Church merged with Mount Calvary Presbyterian Church and combined, they became "Presbyterian Church of Coraopolis", abandoning the Greystone facility to be used for other nonprofit purposes.

  • Church Records:

The_Pittsburg_Press_Sun__Feb_21__1915_(Sporting Section, pg8)

Building the Greystone Church on Broadway and 5th

Photos by Maiden City Snapshots

Earlier Church on State Ave (you can see where it was located by looking at the above postcard). They started using this church when they purchased in from the Methodist Episcopal Congregation, on September 13, 1886: