Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

601 School Street
Coraopolis, PA, 15108
United States

Welcome to Coraopolis History Archive!  On this site, the history of Cory, PA comes alive through the images and stories of those who have called Coraopolis home throughout the years.  Come browse through historic postcards or read about the history of the businesses and industrialists that put Coraopolis on the map.  Also featured is Maiden City Blog, which explains the story of the borough through engaging posts. Looking for volunteer opportunities to make our community better? Coraopolis History Archive has that as well!  Check us out and tell a friend!


History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, including Coraopolis Cemeteries, Coraopolis Maps, Coraopolis Industries, and Coraopolis Photographs.

Ferries & Riverboats

Ferries & RIverboats

River Crossings

  • Ferry across the Ohio River from Stoops Ferry to Sewickley
  • Ferry across the Ohio River at the present site of the Sewickley Bridge
  • Ferry at the foot of Main Street in Coraopolis across the Ohio River to Haysville (This is "Lashell's Ferry, according to maps.)

Source: 1931-12-12 Pittsburgh Post Gazette (vol. 5, no. 115, p. 8) "Let's Know Pittsburgh: River Crossings in 1862" by Joseph White.

1876 Real estate plat-book of the city of Pittsburgh, . M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia (p42)


  • Lashell's Landing (Foot of Main St in Coraopolis)
    • Boaz, July 26, 1877 [The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer]
    • Pacific, July 15, 1899 [Pittsburgh Commercial Gazette]
    • John A. Wood and Joe Williams, August 17, 1899 [Pittsburgh Commercial Gazette]
    • Virginia, June 30, 1900 [The Wheeling Intelligencer]
    • Sam Brown and Charles Brown, October 9, 1902 [The Louisville Courier Journal]
    • Fred Wilson, December 8, 1903 [The Louisville Courier Journal]
    • John A. Wood, Harvester and Rival, November 13, 1904 [The Louisville Courier Journal]
    • Sam Brown, June 21, 1908 [The Pittsburgh Sunday Post]

The Boaz Riverboat

The Sam Brown Riverboat, 1910

The Virginia Riverboat, 1895 in Wheeling

The Charles Brown Riverboat

The Fred Wilson Riverboat

The John A. Wood Riverboat


  • Neville Island was then called either Irwin Island or Long Island
  • Coraopolis was called Middletown
  • Hog Island used to be at the tip of Neville Island across from Coraopolis - it is now underwater, along with many of the other small islands listed
  • Aliquippa was Loggstown

"Who's Who on the Ohio River and its Tributaries" by Ethel C. Leahy, 1931.