Welcome to Coraopolis TimeTrek, your modern walking tour of The Coraopolis of Yesteryear! By pairing historic images of Coraopolis with modern snapshots of the same scene below, you can plot your own Historic Walking Tour.
A friendly reminder! Please stay to officially designated pedestrian paths when viewing all locations. Coraopolis History Archive does not encourage or condone trespassing or other reckless or dangerous behavior. When in doubt, use the photos here to take a virtual journey.
MILL STREET TIMETREK
Across the tracks from the Coraopolis Station, the Hotel Arlington greeted visitors. The postcard on the left from about 1910 shows a hotel in its prime that no longer exists today.
The P&LE Station in Coraopolis is depicted on the left probably in the early 1920s. The station today is being restored and is definitely worth a visit!
This great postcard on the left from approximately 1909 shows a view looking up Mill Street standing basically at the train station. Hotel Helm can be seen on the left. The building still stands at the corner of Mill and 4th.
This postcard shows us a bit better what the Hotel Helm looked like in its heyday. Today, People of Earth sell vintage clothing in this building at Mill and 4th.
On the left, we have "Mill Street from Fourth Avenue", from about 1915.
On the left, a postcard looks up Mill Street, from 4th, in approximately 1909. We can see clearly the Cahen & Harris Store on the left, which is where Off the Avenue Antiques is today.
The postcard on the left shows Mill Street looking north from 5th Ave in 1928. On the left, it's still a bank, and on the right now is Vintage Revival. The streetlights of today are spot on!
On the left, the postcard shows the Coraopolis Savings and Trust Company at Mill and 5th which is now NIRA.
On the left, we see a midcentury view of Mill Street: the modern view is not that different.
State Avenue Timetrek
The hand-colored postcard on the left depicts the Residence of TF Watson in approximately the 1910s. Today, a staircase leads to where this house use to stand on the corner of State and Watson.
To the left is a historic postcard of the Coraopolis YMCA from about 1919. Today, these are apartments.
The postcard on the left is of the "Residence of MM Watson", and is dated in approximately 1909. According to the 1910 US Census, this residence is located at present-day 1116 State Ave. While the porch is missing, the rest of the house is a spot-on match!
The postcard on the left is the "Residence of Dr. J. J. Crawford, State and Chestnut," and is from about 1915. The house still stands today, beautifully preserved, and easy to spot!
The postcard on the left is of State Avenue, looking east, and is dated in approximately 1918. You can see that second steeple in the background on the left, the old First Baptist Church, is still here, and is home to Charis247.
The Old Coraopolis High School, depicted on the left in approximately 1935, is now an apartment building.
The postcard on the left is the "Residence of W.P. McCabe," and is undated. However, the house still stands today, beautifully preserved, and easy to spot!
The postcard on the left shows State Avenue in 1910. It appears that this was taken from Ferree.
The postcard on the left is of "State Avenue near George Street" and is dated in approximately 1913. The homes today remain fairly easy to match up, and many of the telephone poles still stand in the same spots.
5th Avenue Timetrek
On the left, we have a postcard of 5th Avenue looking West, which appears to be from right around Main Street, matching up the houses.
Looking West on 5th Avenue in about 1920 vs. today.
Looking East on 5th Avenue.
4th Avenue Timetrek
The postcard on the left, from about 1910, shows the old Roman Catholic Church on the corner of 4th and Chestnut. While the house on the left is still there, the old white church was destroyed by fire in 1941, and the corner now houses the rectory for St. Joseph's. RC Church.
Looking down 4th from Mill in about 1912.
Fourth from Mill Street, also around 1912.
Ohio River TIMETrek
Reminder: Please stay to officially designated pedestrian paths when viewing all locations. Coraopolis History Archive does not encourage or condone trespassing or other reckless or dangerous behavior.
The postcard on the left, from about 1907, is of the first bridge spanning the Ohio from Neville Island to Coraopolis. Called the Montour Bridge, it was a toll bridge that carried streetcars and other paying traffic over the river. Today, we have Neville Island Bridge, which is the 3rd bridge to connect Coraopolis to the island.
The postcard on the left depicts the Ohio River in about 1915 from the vantage point of the Montour Bridge. Walking over Neville Island Bridge today, we see a familiar view.
The postcard on the left provides little information other than the view is looking west from bridge in Coraopolis. Today's westward view from Neville Island Bridge looks much different. Perhaps this photo was taken from a bridge over a creek? If you have any ideas, email email@example.com and help us solve a mystery!
TIMETREK NEIGHBORHOOD STROLL
The old McKinley Public School was once located on 6th and Locust. Today, there are residential units.
On the left, we have what appears to be a midcentury postcard of the Coraopolis Memorial Library - still looking good today!
The original First United Presbyterian Church on State and Broadway looks like it could use a good sprucing up! It's still just as beautiful though.
The postcard on the left, from about 1947, is labeled First Presbyterian Church; today, this beautiful church still stands on Broadway and 5th.
The old Lincoln School, depicted in the postcard on the left in around 1912, sat on the corner of Ridge & Ferree, where a dwelling is now. You can still see the neighboring residence tucked in behind on the right - that home still stands.
Keep checking back: this is a work-in-progress, and more will be added!