Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

601 School Street
Coraopolis, PA, 15108
United States

Welcome to Coraopolis History Archive!  On this site, the history of Cory, PA comes alive through the images and stories of those who have called Coraopolis home throughout the years.  Come browse through historic postcards or read about the history of the businesses and industrialists that put Coraopolis on the map.  Also featured is Maiden City Blog, which explains the story of the borough through engaging posts. Looking for volunteer opportunities to make our community better? Coraopolis History Archive has that as well!  Check us out and tell a friend!

 

History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, including Coraopolis Cemeteries, Coraopolis Maps, Coraopolis Industries, and Coraopolis Photographs.

Coraopolis Church of Christ

Coraopolis Church of Christ was founded in 1941. Originally located on 905 School Street in Coraopolis, it was relocated to 1644 State Avenue in 1959. Coraopolis Church of Christ was founded by Albert and Thurman Wilson and C.W. Halley.

 

History Research Archive for the Borough of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, near Moon Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
 

coraopolis church of christ

  • Current Location: 1644 State Avenue (built 1959)

    • Dedication: May 30, 1959

  • Prior Location: 905 School Street (rented)

  • Founded: October 6, 1941

    From the church’s historical account on their website: “The church at Coraopolis began on October 6, 1941. Members rented a small storeroom at 905 School Street and converted it into a place of worship. With members moving into the area for work, the congregation would soon require a larger place to meet. Looking to the future, the church purchased a house and lot on the corner of State Avenue and George Street in 1941. The downstairs of the house was made into a meeting place, and the upstairs served as living quarters for the minister. Plans for the construction of a meetinghouse began from 1954 to 1956. A building fund was set up and the members contributed to the fund. The house was moved to the rear of the lot, facing it toward George Street. The house that served as a meeting place would become the parsonage. The work on the basement began during the summer of 1957. Winter set in before work could proceed above floor level. A subfloor was put down and covered with roofing for the winter months. In the spring of 1958, a contractor began work and finish in October 1958. During the winter, the congregation completed the rest of the work. The work on the basement began during the summer of 1957. Winter set in before work could proceed above floor level. A subfloor was put down and covered with roofing for the winter months. In the spring of 1958, a contractor began work and finish in October 1958. During the winter, the congregation completed the rest of the work. Ceremonies were conducted on Memorial Day, Saturday, May 30, 1959. The charter stated that only the word of God was to be proclaimed from its pulpit and taught in its classrooms. Wayne Hammondtree of Nashville, Tennessee preached for the occasion. After the dedication, Donald Hooker of Dennison, Texas, began a series of gospel meetings.”

  • Founders: Albert and Thurman Wilson, C.W. Halley

  • Church Records: unknown

  • Phone: (412) 264-4185

  • Website: http://www.coraopolischurchofchrist.com

ministers

  • C.W. Halley (1941-1942)

  • C.C. Jones (1953-1954)

  • Buff Scott (1954-1956)

  • Charles Aebi (1956-1962)

  • Dallas Lockhart (1962-1963)

  • Robert Henry (1963-1972)

  • Gary Summers (1972-1973)

  • Vince Sporio (1977-1983)

  • David Fletcher (1983-?)

  • Jeremy Main (dates unknown)

1942-10-31 The Pittsburgh Press (v59, n125, p6)

1961-08-17 North Hills News-Record (n47, p8)